We are True Believers

We are True Believers

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Teen Rescued in flood waters



The torrential downpour shattered an 80 year old OK city record. It was more than double the normal amount the city receives in the entire month of June.

Dawson told CNN's "American Morning" that she helped the woman get to a line of trees and then set off -- swimming -- to find help.

Then Dawson got into trouble herself, surrounded by the rapidly rising, dangerously fast-moving water. The woman she had helped was rescued, but Dawson disappeared amid the muddy water and thick trees, and rescuers launched a frantic search for her.

Dawson told reporters, "I started shaking really bad while I was swimming and I thought I was to pass out and I thought I was going to die."

The first group of rescuers to reach her tipped over their boat and were stranded alongside Dawson.

Minutes later, a second boat came along, taking Dawson and the other three men to safety.

When her first rescue boat sunk, Dawson said she remembers thinking, "'Wow, this is just my luck.' I kind of -- first I kind of thought I sunk it, but I didn't. It was the current."

Dawson said there are parts of the event that she can't recall now.

"I remember a lot of it, but there are parts that I don't even remember happening," she said. "Like I didn't remember going underneath the water. And I did."

As for next time, Dawson said she's not likely to jump in again.

No comments:

Post a Comment